Most molds are considered allergenic and some may be toxigenic, so if you are going to disturb mold with cleaning methods, you increase your chances of exposure to the mold particles. A good rule of thumb is that if the contaminated area is small and the material is non-porus, it can be cleaned by traditional methods. Porus materials, on the other hand, are difficult to clean because of the tiny microscopic holes in the material. The root type structures of the mold can grow down into the holes and make it hard to clean completely. For more information, you can visit the EPA’s website or OSHA’s website.